Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How to escape a speeding ticket

Based on true events.

This happened to me today.

In my whole entire life of driving a car, I've never had a speeding ticket. I've never even come close.

I've been very lucky because I do tend to be a fast driver. I'm certainly not timid behind the wheel.

So I got caught driving down Fell Ave.  going 60 K in a 30 K zone. Oops, double the speed limit.

I saw the cop walk out to the centre of the road, point to me, and in a dramatic fashion, swing his stick straight arm with pointed finger over towards the side of the road (aka, pull the heck over, I've just caught you).

Holy crap moment, heart starts to beat faster. Make sure I pull over correctly - right indicator on (OMG the brake lights better be working), pull over to the curb. Turn the engine off (not sure if you're really supposed to do that but I did), role down the window...then put on the show.

Cop: Ma'am, hello. What's the rush?
Me: Getting the tears on - My Dad's in the hospital (explain a little more of his condition to the cop), and I have to get my kids...
Cop: Your Dad's in the Hospital? That's where you're going?
Me: Yes. Look, I understand your position. I take total responsibility. You need to do what you have to.
Cop: You were going 60 K in the 30 zone. You can't do that.
Me: I'm so sorry. I understand
Cop: Alright Ma'am. You can go. Just please be careful.
Me: Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Drive off V E R Y  S L O W L Y...(look, see, I'm a good driver...)

Nearly run a red light that's just ahead (God I hope he wasn't looking).

He wasn't.

And that's how you escape a speeding ticket.

BTW, the whole Dad thing was no lie. He's doing okay right now, but still in a lot of pain. I'm not getting into details.

1 comment:

susanmeade said...

Excellent job! You are a very lucky person! I'm also a fast driver, but I haven't received any speeding ticket so far. A friend of mine actually recommended me a reputable and experienced lawyer from http://www.nopointstraffictickets.com for any problem with a traffic ticket. In any case, I hope I will never get a traffic ticket! By the way, thanks for sharing your experience with us!