Saturday, June 11, 2011

Bring back "Sports Day"

School is coming to a close, kids are winding things down in their classes. And with this end of the school year comes Sports Day, right?

WRONG!

In case you're out of the loop, it's "Fun Day", because God help a child who should actually lose in a competition.

The Sports Days that I remember as a child are a thing of the past...

Endless obstacle courses where you competed against another kid for first place.


Cheering and screaming from your friends to help you get past the finish line first.


Winning ribbons according to where you placed in each event.


The school property absolutely loaded with tons of awesome events that were maned by volunteer highschool students.


NEVER getting a first or second place ribbon in any event because I sucked at them.

And coming home to tell mom and dad about the totally fun time I had and didn't win any ribbons and I can't wait until next year.

What the hell went wrong? The theory now (and I'm pretty sure it's the same with your kids school) is that they don't want the kids to feel left out of any "winning". In other words, they want the event to be fair for all the kids.

Uhm, hello?!?!? Life is full of competition. Take my 8 year old's recent baseball game. They LOST it and now aren't playing for first or second place in the league. And guess what, the kids were totally upset and crying. Isn't that part of the learning process of competition? Suck it up buttercup. Yeah your upset but you'll get over it. It'll happen again and again too in your life. Now let's do your best to win the next best place - third!

Like I mentioned before, I never won any competition, EVER, and do you think it's affected me in my life? I SUCKED IT UP!

Needless to say, my 12 year old didn't want to go to school for this "event", and I can't blame him. It's boring, the "events" are pathetic, and they are also divided by primary and intermediate. Soccer is only available to the primary kids. WELL WHAT IF THE INTERMEDIATE KIDS WANT TO PLAY SOCCER ALSO?? They can't!

This is nonsense, I tell ya, nonsense!

Oh yeah, let's bring back the TUG OF "WAR" too. "Tug of Peace", what the frack is that?!?!

*no kids won a ribbon at this Fun Day cuz of the "no competish" rule
**12 year old had a totally fun day with his Gramma instead
***8 year old came home looking like this: (he had a little bit of fun)

No comments: