Sunday, April 3, 2011

Crispy Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes

I'm always searching for new and interesting recipes to make for dinner, just so long as there's not too many ingredients, 'cuz I'm lazy!

I found this sweet potato-slash-salmon cake recipe in a Parents Canada magazine that somehow arrived at my house alongside my kid's Owl magazine.

Crispy Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes - picture copied from the parentscanada.com recipe page because I'm too dumb to remember to take a picture of what I created. Although mine turned out exactly as shown.

1 large sweet potato
1 can (213 g) salmon drained
1 large egg
1-2 green onions, chopped
Salt and Pepper
Canola Oil, or Olive Oil for cooking
1 extra egg, for coating (optional) - I did the coating
1 cup dry breadcrumbs for coating (optional) - I used up some cornflake crumbs that I keep for coating food

(see, not too many things for me to remember)

Peal and cut up the sweet potato and bake in the oven until tender to a fork. Once tender, take out of the oven and transfer to a heat proof bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork. Add in the drained can of salmon, the large egg, and green onions, and salt and pepper. Mix all up - easy peasy! Do it quick to keep everything nice and hot.

Put the oil in a frying pan and heat on medium.

I did the coating for extra crispy - mix up the extra egg in a bowl. Put the breadcrumbs in another bowl.  Shape the sweet potato into small patties, cover in the mixed egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Mine were quite wet and mushy but I made it work carefully. Place each coated patty in the frying pan immediately - they will stick together when cooking, promise. I got all my coating done and placed the extra patties on a plate ready for the frying pan (assembly line style).

Heat each patty through on one side for about 5 minutes, then flip and heat through on the other side for 5 minutes or so. Do all the patties up making then nice and golden colour (Canadian "colour"). Serve immediately.

Although the recipe does not call for any dipping sauce, you could dip these into tartar sauce, or what my husband and I like to do is use up salad dressing (ceasar, or ranch). These patties are really good and I'm certainly making them again.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: